Thursday, October 29, 2009

MAYORAL VOTING DEADLINE NEAR




The Hill County Clerk and Recorder's office have been reporting that voting has been thus far light in the Current City election. Less than half of the mailed ballots have been returned. Perhaps, like this blogger, everyone is so disgusted with the Mayoral candidates that they are hesitant to even cast a vote. Basically you have a choice between the current and perpetually cranky Mayor Bob or the challenger Tim Solomon, who has so many County ties that he won’t know which way to turn with City business.



I know what we will get re-electing Mayor Bob as we have seen him in action for 8 years. He is perpetually pessimistic, difficult to get along with, and if you don’t happen to agree with him you are his enemy. On the plus side, he has made some accomplishments, in spite of himself, beyond what any of the former Mayors of Havre have ever done. He also considers the job a full-time position and puts in plenty of time being Mayor, whether it’s in City Hall or out with the work crews. To Mayor Bob’s credit I also will give him the fact that the City departments made it difficult for him when he did implement changes, so maybe in reality he is still the best choice.

Tim Solomon is employed by the County and will only be able to devote time to the City on a part-time basis. Mayor Tim would also look at ending the pool lawsuit and consider moving enhanced 911 dispatching back to the County. Accomplishing this of course, would also depend on the City Council. On the other hand Mayor Tim would likely be a push over in City – County negotiations so perhaps if ending bickering between the City and County is a voter’s primary concern without regard to your taxes, he may just be the best choice. I am concerned however with his continual comments about letting the department heads run everything unchecked. That’s how things were before Mayor Bob and the work force didn’t work to their maximum potential. I would venture to guess however, that Mayor Tim would be more approachable and would listen better then Mayor Bob but would he take any action?



All in all, two very less then exciting choices! Be sure and vote, because no matter which candidate wins, it is your tax dollars they will be spending.

3 comments:

  1. I don't reside in city limits so I guess this doesn't affect me but my landlord sure has been complaining about the amount of property tax he pays. I guess that is his way of telling me the rent is going up. I sure wish the county and city folk could come to some sort of terms instead of wasting tax money fighting.

    I was somewhat taken back this morning as I was leaving Mass and found campaign fliers stuck under the wiper of my car. Is that realy necessary? I was offended

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't mailed in my ballot yet. Just lazy. But I agree with Jimbo about the unneccessary flyers and crap that shows up to "help me make up my mind". Not only am I offended, I tend to vote against those who litter my mailbox and streets or touch my wiper blades. Not that I think any of them care or they wouldn't put out that waste of paper in the first place.

    And has anyone else ever noticed that when a driver of a vehicle does something stupid and has a bumper sticker with a political candidate on it (especially on that you don't like) that you think to yourself..."yeah, another moron that would vote for _____." or is that just me??

    ReplyDelete