First, we have learned that the City was served the papers in the late afternoon on Monday in person. While we maybe can agree that Mayor Tim announcing this to the public at Monday night’s meeting wasn’t necessary we certainly can’t condone the fact that none of the elected council people were even told of this lawsuit. A point in fact is that at least one of them learned of this lawsuit by reading this blog. Why didn’t Mayor Tim inform the council?
Second, Hill County miraculously has come to an agreement with the plaintiffs to get themselves out of this lawsuit on Wednesday. They have agreed to stop cooperating with the city in the annexation process and to cease the annexation process on their end. Isn’t that what Anderson and the rest of the commissioners have wanted from the start? Just think about this logically for a minute about what transpired on Wednesday.
1. We would assume that the County Attorney and the commissioners go to work about 8 am
2. Someone from the county attorney’s office meets with the commissioners to discuss the suit and what their position will be
3. The plaintiffs attorney is from Great Falls so assume a call was made by the county attorney to Faure Holden Attorneys at Law to discuss the options
4. The attorney from Faure Holden then calls his clients Patrick, Clausen, Newton, and the Holiday Village Mall and informs them of the counties “offer” and they accept
5. County Attorney again meets with the commissioners to inform them of the response which they accept
6. The attorneys for both sides fax agreements and documentation back and for to each other with signatures agreeing to a joint stipulation with the terms
7. The court document outlining the agreement is filed with the district court clerk at 12:15 which is barely 4 hours from the earliest possible time this work could have began if all are being truthful. Apparently we have better attorneys in the County Attorney’s office than I thought if they could get all this done in this short amount of time. It must just be a coincidenceOr, has the county been in collusion with and advising these plaintiffs behind the scenes the whole time? Did they, as we suspect, make sure they were included themselves in the suit to throw stupid questioning taxpayers off their scent?
We are guessing that they have been in on this from the Get-Go